I am pleased to be partnering with the Board to collaboratively present goals for MVCS’s future; my short-term goal is to prepare well to kick off the 2019-20 year smoothly. I am happy to inform you that our class arrangements are done, schedules are being finalized, 3 new teachers were hired, interviews are happening for the final 2 teachers, the handbooks are being reviewed and updated, the old oil furnace is gone and we are waiting for the propane one to be installed, and the JSH roof replacement is almost complete.
Elementary school update
- Mrs. Horner – Pre-k and K. We will be expanding from 3 to 5 days starting this year. We are interviewing a candidate for the T/Th position.
- Mrs. Adams – 1st and 2nd Grade
- Miss Blessing – 3rd and 4th Grade
- 5th-6th Grade – We are actively interviewing two candidates and hope to finalize the position later this week.
- Noelle Barnes – Art (2days/wk) and Marketing (3days/wk)
- Erva Barnes – Physical Education and Athletic Director
- Hannah Scott – Junior/Senior High History
- We have had inquiries for 13 students this summer, 2 families with 3 children each have applied. This is in addition to 2 new students added at the end of the school year
My next goals are to improve school climate, operations, increase enrollment, and strengthen our financials. These are long term goals and 2019-20 will be a foundational year.
School Climate: Promote Best Practices
- Foster thriving spiritual atmosphere for students to learn about God in creative ways
- Students will experience a dynamic role in their learning through voice and choice in the process, through project-based and interest-based learning
- 21st century skills like critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, communication, technology/media literacy, and leadership
- Collaborative and/or authentic tasks that place students at the center of the learning process
- Seating arrangements are clustered, varied and functional
- Classrooms are activity-based as opposed to places to “sit and get” lectures
- Active teacher engagement with different groups, and students are anxious to enlist visitors in their various tasks or assignments
- A joyful feeling of purposeful movement, industrious thinking and a vital and vibrant atmosphere and environment
School Climate: Teachers Development
Teacher assessment will occur to assess and learn what type of learning opportunities the teachers themselves might need to grow in how to best serve students. I will be looking at the 4 Core Teaching Standards of VT:
- The learner and learning (development, differences, and environments/climate of the classroom)
- Content knowledge and skills and application of this
- Instructional practices (assessment, planning, strategies)
- Professional responsibilities (PD, ethical practices, leadership and collaboration)
I will also investigate incorporating parent and student feedback into faculty, administrative, and general school assessments.
Our enrollment goal for the 2020-21 school year is to aim for 100 students. We will need a partnership with faculty, staff, and parents in sharing our mission and all that is going on, with everyone in our community. Each of you can be a part of this growth by speaking about MVCS in your churches, community and with your friends.
In addition, we will need to team up with local churches, increase our marketing efforts, and become more active in the community. We have been blessed to get the private funding of Noelle to spearhead MVCS Marketing; some of which will be:
- Church and Community connections
- Reach out to alumni and supporters with a magazine with MVCS updates, testimonials, where support money is spent, and supporter’s info
- Plan event at the school for alumni and supporters
- Presence on FB, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin
Stay tuned for more info.
Finances: We ended the 2018-2019 school year in the black with $14,000! This is in addition to the endowment fund for scholarships and the contingency fund. We made several cuts to the operating budget for the 2019-2020 school year and reduced the deficit by $70,000. We still need to raise nearly $175,000 and trust that God will provide like He has taken care of us over the last 33 years.
Finally, I am still interested in hearing from all parents and learn what Educating for Impact means to you. This School that God has ordained, is OUR school!
MVCS exists to glorify God by educating YOUR children. Let’s begin by impacting our communication with each other by making a point to connect with me this summer.
Thank you and God bless your summer!
Head of School